Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) Icon_portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) Empty
PostSubject: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Kayley was so excited.  She was finally going to learn how to sword fight for real!  She could hardly believe it.  She was so glad her mother had understood how she felt.  Who knew, if the training went good, maybe she could be a professional swords woman.  That thought made her even more excited as she headed on over to Hunter's Gate.  There was a great open space near there that would be perfect for her lessons.  She had come prepared, wearing an old tunic and leggings that she had managed to borrow from one of the servant boys.  It was a little loose, but she was sure it wouldn't hinder her movements.
Back to top Go down
https://reignoffireandice.forumotion.com/t37-kayley-stark
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Amelia was lounging around on a tree limb just outside of Hunter's Gate. She had extra supplies of everything she needed to teach Kayley for her first lesson. Amelia knew bothering with carriage would prove difficult and therefore set up most of the supplies in the kennels over time. She did not yet know if Kayley was truly prepared for what was about to happen because testing her in the Great Hall was not the best scenario at the time. Amelia jumped down from the limb as neared the Gate. Amelia was in her trench coat, a normal pair of pants, and her corset shirt she always wore, and examined Kayley. "Are you ready to learn or do you just think you are prepared?" Amelia remarked breathlessly
Back to top Go down
https://reignoffireandice.forumotion.com/t63-amelia-cerwyn
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Amelia soon arrived, and she looked pretty serious about this.  Technically, it was.  Once a person learned how to sword fight, they practically had the power to kill people if they wished.  Kayley wasn't sure how she would handle that yet, but still, she knew this wasn't something like playing around with sticks.  "I'm ready," she replied firmly.  She had been waiting ages for this opportunity.  She wasn't about to blow it now.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 11:22 pm

"I guess I will have to start teaching you from the beginning then . . . .Follow me. . . . ." Amelia sighed and turned toward the kennels leading Kayley in. In the Kennels, Amelia checked the Tunic and the leggings that Kayley wore, by lightly pulling on them. "Armor is important in battle. For inexperienced warriors it is the difference between life and death. Would you like a full set of your own to practice in?" Amelia gestured the few armor stands of various sizes that she had set up in the kennels. Amelia herself took off her coat to put it on the makeshift weapons rack. She did not want to go too fast or too slow to make sure Kayley understood everything. At the same time Amelia was used to teaching more than one student at a time so this was a bit of an adjustment for her. "I'll show you how to put it on and help if need be . . . ." Amelia paused, seeing that teaching Kayley to where she normally had the Cerwyn children by this age was going to take a minute.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 10:06 pm

That got Kayley excited.  "Oh, yes!  I'd love one!" she said, grinning from ear to ear as she gave an excited hop.  Then she suddenly stopped, realizing that that probably wasn't a professional way to behave.  She quickly straightened up, cleared her throat, and said in a more even tone "Uh, yeah.  That'd be nice."  She followed Amelia to the kennels, where there was some armor and weapons stashed.  "Yeah, might need some help with that," she said as she gazed from one piece of armor to the next.  She wondered which one was best for her.  Preferably, she'd like something light.  But the heavier sets could take more forceful blows.  Getting armor was often trying to find a balance between lightness and strength.  "Um...any recommendations?" she asked Amelia.  She was the professional, after all.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 5:59 am

Amelia chuckled at Kayley's hop putting a her hand up to her mouth. Amelia never had to think about how she acted as a warrior, especially on the battlefield. She usually just followed her instinct. Although she was not used to excited students because she had taught so few in the past. Amelia put her hand on the blade of one of her double sided axes that was holstered to her thighs, thinking about the last time she trained someone as excited as Kayley. Amelia's concentration was broken; however, by Kayley asking for her opinion. "Recommendations?" Amelia questioned looking at the armor stands then back at Kayley. She picked up two of the armor stands and carried them outside. "Kayley, grab that other armor stand and meet me outside." Amelia stood by the tree she was sitting on earlier. "A recommendation from me for you two things. First, it's level you want to be on. Then, after that I have sort of a test, if you can call it that . . . . " Amelia scratched the back of her head, giving a wide side glance to the trees around her. as she mumbled through the rest of it. For first time in a while she was rather unsure of herself because not many people in House Cerwyn, aside from her husband and a few other members, asked for her opinion.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 1:45 am

"Um, okay."  Kayley was a little mystified as to why, but hey, Amelia was the teacher here.  She knew what she was doing.  She managed to get the armor stand outside without two much trouble.  Amelia had already brought out two other ones.  "So...what do I have to do for this test?" she asked.  She wondered what Amelia had in mind.  Would she just hand her a sword and tell her to start swinging it at random?  Would she make her run laps around the castle grounds?
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 3:55 am

"Well, it's kind of a hard test . . . . but it helps me pick out the best training style for each student." Amelia did not want to discourage Kayley, but not that many people did well on her test or even wanted to do it. "Do you see the first branch on this tree?" Amelia pointed to the branch she was sitting on earlier. Amelia started to smirk. "I want you to get on that first tree branch." To Amelia this test was less about armor and more about spirit and character. Amelia's smirk was showing some of her teeth. As she knew that Kayley would have the hardest time with this test of all the students that she has ever had. Amelia was interested to see how Kayley would handle this. "Also, remember your instincts are what guide you when your mind does not know how to . . . ." Amelia toothy smirk was stuck on her face now, and she realized she could not help it as she lightly leaned against one of the armor stands.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Kayley glanced up.  Climbing a tree?  That didn't sound so difficult.  Kayley used to do it all the time, before she had gotten scolded and had been put inside to learn lady-like stuff.  Although this branch was a bit high.  She tried jumping up to reach it, and her fingertips barely touched it.  But it wasn't enough to get a grip on it.  Kayley thought for a moment, her finger on her chin.  Maybe she could get a grappling hook?  Or was that cheating?  Amelia hadn't said she couldn't use any equipment.  But before she could look for one, she noticed a fairly large knot on the trunk of the tree.  Kayley smiled, feeling she had this figured out.  She backed up a few paces, then starting running.  Once she got close enough, she jumped forward, one foot landing on the knot long enough for her to rebound off of it towards the trunk.  Although she didn't get quite as high as she had hoped, and her chest ended up slamming hard against the tree limb as she scrambled to wrap her arms around it.  The wind nearly got knocked out of her, and she almost lost her grip.  But, she gritted her teeth and swung one leg over so she was sitting on top of the tree limb.  "How...was...that?" she asked Amelia as she tried to catch her breath.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 2:56 am

Horrible. Something she could not believe even though she saw it, and it was hard to see. Painful to watch. Simply horrible. At least that's what Amelia thought as she covered her eyes with her hands, but she just could not bring herself to tell her new student that. Amelia took a step back assessing the climb out loud to the student. "Concerned. You thought about using a tool. You thought about cheating. Resourceful. Out of practice." Amelia and looked up at Kayley, then back down at the knot on the tree, and examined it. Amelia shook her head at Kayley getting her breath knocked out of her. "Hopeful. In a bit of a rush. Challenged or challenging? You're also still unsure about yourself aren't you?" Amelia looked up at Kayley for a long minute. Amelia walked away from the tree and into the Kennels, for minute. She came back with two shields, one in each hand, both small shields. She had no coat on and no other weapons on her persons. Looking up at Kayley she yelled "I'm going to come up there and check your balance now . . . . ." Amelia looked at the tree branch then at the ground, and back again. Amelia then prepared to jump.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Kayley gave a little shrug.  "You never said I couldn't use a tool," she simply stated.  How had Amelia known she had been thinking about that anyway?  Was she secretly a mind reader?  Or was Kayley just easy to read?  Either way, Amelia seemed more concerned than hopeful about her performance.  Kayley frowned.  She thought she hadn't done horribly.  Most girls couldn't even climb a tree, let alone get to a branch this high.  She wondered if Amelia was going to be like this the whole time she was training her.  But, she couldn't wonder about that for long.  Amelia was going to test her balance this time, and she soon returned with two shields.  Kayley wondered what she was going to make her do next.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 3:35 am

Amelia looked up at Kayley and the tree, then looked back down at the ground, and jumped up high enough to gently, but firmly land on the tree branch, as she disapprovingly shook her head at what Kayley said. "It is not about getting a tool to help you, but about how you can use what you see around you. Here." Amelia told Kayley as she softly tossed her the shield. Amelia could not help, but feel she might be being a bit harsh, but for a true assessment that was to be slightly expected right? There is again. That shred of self-doubt and unsureness. Amelia thought to herself. Could Kayley be affecting her like this? She could not think about about that right now. "Alright, this next part should be easy,. For the balance test all you have to do is knock me off of this tree branch with that shield. I am completely unarmed, except for my shirt, pants, and shoes." Amelia glanced as Kayley frowned, and chuckled at her a bit, smiling. "Here, I will even show you how to put it on your arm." Amelia knelt on one knee carefully on the tree branch to show Kayley.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Amelia got to where Kayley was in almost no time flat.  And she looked pretty graceful while doing it too.  Kayley knew she had a lot of work to do if she wanted to get that good.  She wasn't sure if this next test would be as easy as Amelia said it was.  How could she be expected to land a hit on her?  She was just starting out, and Amelia was a master.  Plus, Kayley couldn't swing too wildly, otherwise she would lose her balance and fall.  But, she knew griping about this wouldn't get it done.  She would just have to do her best.  She watched Amelia demonstrate how to put on the shield and Kayley soon had it on her arm.  It was a bit heavy, but not too much of a burden.  Steadying herself, she swung the shield at Amelia.  She wasn't expecting to hit her.  She just wanted to gauge at how fast she was, how she moved.  She remembered watching her father sword fight, how he would get a feel for how his opponent fought before making his move.  Kayley felt like that was her best bet in knocking Amelia off the branch.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 4:31 am

Amelia moved backwards slowly, but just enough to be out of reach of Kayley's swing, and get a view of her arm length. Amelia then stood up and took two quick steps back. "Really that was a bit off, not your style at all." Amelia spoke rather offhandedly. Amelia held her shield sideways in front of her stomach. "You're copying someone, quite familiar . . ." Amelia  stood firmly in the middle of the tree branch, keeping he shield in front of stomach. Amelia's narrowed her eyes at Kayley, and lightly flipped her hair onto her shoulders. It covered part of her biceps, but she still had exposed skin that showed some of her scars on her arm that was getting cold when the wind kicked up a bit. Amelia finally decided to leave it alone for now. "Kayley, I'm going to hold this position. You have five turns before I strike back so I would suggest that you try to knock me knock me off. Also you probably will not want to waste your energy on a move like that again, at least for now." Amelia shrugged her shoulders as she closed her eyes and blew a breath. Amelia listened for any sudden movements including Kayley's.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Kayley bit her lip.  How would Amelia know her "style?"  This was the first time she had ever fought in her life.  Well, she did have a few sessions with her mother once, but Amelia hadn't been there for that.  What was up with this lady?  Maybe she was just trying to get her mad on purpose.  When an enemy was angry, they were more likely to make mistakes.  Kayley let out a breath before pushing her shield forward instead of swooping it in a large arc like before.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 pm

"That's one hit Kayley." Amelia's eyes were still closed as she felt Kayley's shield make contact with her shield. Amelia took a very careful, slow step back, and then immediately put her foot back. Thought I had more branch to work with, she thought. "What is wrong Kayley? Are you getting annoyed at me?" A small smile, formed across her face. Amelia could hear her breathing. That was a good sign from her. "Kayley, a word of advice: find a weakness." Amelia held her position, and was still on the tree branch.

Last edited by Amelia Cerwyn on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 9:37 pm

"What do you think I'm trying to do?" Kayley snapped before she could stop herself.  It wasn't like she was doing this for fun.  She was trying her best here.  She just didn't see how she could land a hit on Amelia when she was just a beginner and Amelia was a master.  Maybe that was the whole point of the exercise?  No, that couldn't be it.  Kayley would keep trying if that was what Amelia wanted, and if it would help her be a better fighter.  Moving as fast as she could, she swung towards Amelia's head before changing direction at the last second and aiming for her legs.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Amelia laughed at Kayley when she snapped. It was kind heavy, weighted laugh, like it had been a while since the last time she laughed. Nodding her head in a positive manner, "That is quite a tongue you have that I have not heard from a student in a while. Quite refreshing." Amelia opened her eyes to see Kayley's face, smiling a big toothy grin. Amelia lifted her back foot off of the branch for better balance. Just then she saw Kayley's shield move toward her head, and quickly threw her head back just to feel her knocked out from under her. Amelia used the foot she lifted to quickly jump off of the tree branch and grab onto the next higher one above her head with her non-shielded, off-hand. Well this is quite a predicament, she thought her feet dangling just above Kayley as she dropped her shield hand to her thigh. I did not account for this, Amelia lookied up at her left hand holding the tree branch.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Amelia just laughed in response, although she seemed to enjoy seeing Kayley mad.  Maybe she was growing tired of seeing the typical high born girl: prim, proper, and quiet.  And while Kayley may have been like that once, she knew she was far from typical now.  Most girls her age didn't learn how to sword fight and weren't semi-romantically involved with another girl.  But, Kayley pushed those thoughts of her head.  Now was not the time to ponder things.  Amelia had managed to dodge her blow, but she was now hanging on a branch above her, and couldn't defend herself as well.  Kayley swung her shield upwards, hoping to hit Amelia's legs.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 5:17 am

Looking up at her left arm holding onto the tree branch, Amelia tilted her head. She had a hard time lifting her body up enough to actually get good enough leverage for a favorable defense. I cannot believe I am out of fighting shape for the battlefield, Amelia admitted to herself in her head. Amelia heard something below her moving. Amelia looked down at Kayley, seeing her swing her shield upwards. "That's the second and third strike Kayley." Amelia made foot contact with Kayley's shield and pushed herself off of it just enough to get her legs wrapped around the branch she was hanging on. Time for me to work harder. Amelia then hung upside down from the tree branch holding her shield above, or rather below her head. "Kayley, I want to know something? Where are you fighting from?" Amelia reached out Kayley's head with her freehand.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Kayley frowned.  How was she supposed to knock Amelia off a tree branch if she kept moving to different ones?  That seemed kind of unfair.  Well, two could play at that game.  There was a tree branch nearby that would get her a little closer to Amelia, and maybe make her a little easier to hit.  Tucking her shield under her arm, she grabbed the branch with her hands before climbing up.  Her movements were smoother than last time, since this branch was in easy reach.  "Huh?  What does that mean?" she asked before swinging her shield towards Amelia again.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 1:33 am

Amelia chuckled at Kayley's frustration. As far as Amelia was concerned she was still near the same position, and could still be knocked out of the tree from the lower branch. "I am just observing that you are only concerned with one thing, and the way you are going seems to have you questioning your own methods or distracted and lost in thought." Amelia's free hand pushed the shield back toward Kayley, and pushed Kayley's head down a bit so that it was closer to the shield. Amelia then, ran her free hand through her hair. "That shield swing was poor, try it again. Also bring your head closer to your shield." Amelia sighed as her right eye suddenly twitched, as she bought her free hand to cover it. "For instance, I'm fighting you with my mind, even though my heart says 'it is not right' because I feel this tree branch could break." Amelia tilted her head to one side. "It's like when you climbed to a new tree branch, and; even though, the climb was easier, could you tell that there was a better way to climb it, instead of tucking the shield under you?" Amelia yawned as she clenched her shield hand to a fist. "Aw, man blood rushing . . . . "
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 10:08 pm

"And what one thing is that?"  Kayley didn't like the way Amelia was talking.  It was like she was speaking in riddles or something.  Shouldn't she be giving clear instructions on this?  It was like she expected Kayley to figure this out on her own.  That didn't really feel like a proper way to teach sword fighting.  Amelia did stop to give her some tips though.  Finally, Kayley thought.  This was what she wanted: clear instructions on how to get better at this.  "What other way could I do it?  I can't exactly balance the shield on my head," she said.  She kept her head closer to her shield this time as she gave another swing in Amelia's direction.
Back to top Go down
Amelia Cerwyn

Amelia Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 1:08 am

"You are mainly concerned with knocking me off of the tree, instead of figuring out how to get better." Amelia sighed. Amelia figured Kayley would want to learn how to fight better, but not with so much instruction. "It feels like I'm kind of fighting Proteus. He is so blind to the goal in front of him that he doesn't get the big picture." Amelia hopped down to the branch Kayley was on and right into Kayley's swing. Amelia slipped as her feet landed and their shields clashed on her way down. "That's better, remember a shield attack is more about throwing your weight behind the shield rather than using the shield itself." Amelia could barely avoid it and spun into the attack and nearly fell out of the tree branch catching herself at the last minute with her free hand. "That was better, but I got what I need from you now. Come on, let's get you some armor. I will show you how to climb better with a shield and get down." Amelia smiled at Kayley, while nodding approvingly, and swung herself over the tree trunk sinking the point of her shield into the tree bark.
Back to top Go down
Kayley Stark

Kayley Stark

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm

"Well, I only have a limited number of swings before you go for me," Kayley said.  "And I doubt I'll be able to block your attacks."  Besides, knocking Amelia off was kind of the objective of this exercise, wasn't it?  She stopped when Amelia actually criticized her father's fighting style.  She had never thought of it that way.  To her, Proteus was an excellent warrior.  He won a majority of his fights.  Didn't that mean he knew what he was doing?  She was brought out of her thoughts when Amelia swung down to the branch she was standing on.  She wobbled slightly when their shields bonked against each other, but managed to keep from falling.  The last thing she wanted was for Amelia to think she was some stupid little girl.  But, to her surprise, Amelia actually complimented her.  Did that mean she was finally getting somewhere?  She was excited to hear that they were going to get some armor now, although she felt a bit apprehensive as well.  Sure, armor protected you and what-not, but it was so heavy.  And while Kayley might be semi-fast, her strength still needed a lot of work.  She noticed how Amelia stuck her shield in the tree trunk to help her swing down.  Kayley glanced down at her own shield, wondering if she could do that.  Figuring it couldn't hurt to find out, she tried to copy Amelia's movements.  However, she didn't stick the shield deep enough in the trunk, and it wobbled as she swung down.  She gave a little cry before landing on the branch below her, and the shield slipped from her grip and clattered to the ground below.  Kayley sighed.  Just when she thought she was doing good, she had to screw up.  Again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)   First Lesson (Tag: Amelia) Empty

Back to top Go down

First Lesson (Tag: Amelia)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next