Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  A Joyous Day Icon_portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Joyous Day

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Slynt hadn't had much time to take in the greatness of the castle he was now in. The business that had led him here seemed of enough importance to keep him from waiting long. Most would perhaps be grateful for that, but John wished more time to look upon the great halls of this vast building. So much history this place held.
It seemed one guard had scarcely left him before another returned with news that her majesty would see him now, and they continued down the hall and into an enclosed area. Luckily this was a private matter. If news of this were to get out, it wouldn't take long before the panic spread and overtook the lands. These were indeed grave days. In this moment, however, John seemed slightly more eager to finally meet the reigning queen. He had heard so much about her, not least of her undeniable beauty. He needn't take a second glance to know the rumors were all true in that department.
"Your grace," he quickly said and bowed courteous in her honor. His smile was everpresent and endearing, the way it always stayed on his face. Sadly, the coronation had passed him by without him having a chance to attend. Being commander of the Night's Watch had its pros, but indeed also its cons. Business could keep him busy. Therefore, this day was not one of grief and fear for him, but rather a day of joy. He got to meet the beautiful queen, and he got to visit the warmer lands below the wall.
"It's a great pleasure to finally look upon you," he said, and truly meant it.
Back to top Go down
https://reignoffireandice.forumotion.com/t108-john-slynt
Marina Targaryen
Admin
Marina Targaryen

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Since she heard the news of the lord commander of the night´s watch coming for an audience Marina couldn´t help it but felt uneasy. She never had the chance to meet him in person and still wouldn´t have under normal circumstances but this situation was definitely not normal. "Let him in." She told one of the guards before the queen was left alone for a moment until both the guard and her guest returned. The first of them though didn´t stay long.
As the lord commander entered Marina faced him and gave him a slight smile in return for his greeting. "The pleasure is all mine Lord Commander Slynt. I´ve heard much about you but sadly never had the chance to meet you until now. So tell me what brings you to me?"
Back to top Go down
https://reignoffireandice.forumotion.com/t2-queen-marina-targarye
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 8:59 pm

He had to admit, the urgency in her tone was disappointing. Was she truly so busy? He would expect her to be, as a queen, but he had no wish to leave her so soon. Another reason lingered in his hesitation to answer. He had no wish to face the grave danger they were all truly in. He had hoped he could have pretended this was merely a friendly visit just a little longer. Now, she had given him no choice, and his charming smile quickly vanished, replaced with a serious frown.
"I am afraid there has been reports of whitewalkers of late. At first I dared not believe it, but the tidings come from my most trusted men, and I have myself seen the aftermaths of these creatures." He let the heavy words sink in before he continued, scared she might not believe him. "I would not come this far way to frighten you, or simply to request an audience with such a beautiful queen, though she sure is beautiful." For a mere moment he let his serious attire slip back into his boyish, but he quickly regained himself once more. "I am in grave need of more men, my grace."
Back to top Go down
Marina Targaryen
Admin
Marina Targaryen

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Her eyes were opening wide to this shocking news. The white walkers have been appearing years ago during her father´s time as a crow but eventually seemed to have diappeared or even be beaten. The fact that they were moving again were more than suprising news. "I see." Marina stayed quiet for a bit listening carefully to the lord commanders words.
Him making her compliments at such a time clearly catched her off guard. "I ... uh ... than you." She said as her cheeks turned red. Coughing she tried to get serious again though. "This is a serious problem. If the white walkers are marching again ... I don´t even want to pretend what might happen."
Marina turned her back to her guest, closet her eyes and tried to think. How could she handle this situation? What was the best way to help and was she even able to do so? She let out a sigh before she turned back again with a worried face. "I do believe and I´m more than willing to help you but even for me as the queen there are limits."
Back to top Go down
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 9:16 pm

In other times John might have grinned to himself at her reaction. Instinctively it made his heart race in the pursuit of a beautiful woman, and one of such power and prestiege only made the chase more worth his while. He wouldn't however. Not at this hour, and not with his queen. He dared not even try, in case he upset, degraded or maddened his queen. At this time, he felt best to grin inwardly.
"Are there no men you can spare, my queen?" he pleaded. Surely there must be men. These were days of peace, days with no raging wars and no other immense threats to the lands. If she were to turn him away empty handed, he would be more than outraged.
Back to top Go down
Marina Targaryen
Admin
Marina Targaryen

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 9:26 pm

"Yes, there are some men but I´m afraid they aren´t enough. Even if they don´t have to become people of the night´s watch themselves the wall and everything beyond is by far not the favorite place for them to go to." The queen replied with a tone of sadness in her voice.
Suddenly however her eyes widened as she just got an idea that indeed could work without making any of her men of people go angry at her. Immediately she smiled at him not caring at all about her apperantly unprofessionally behavior. "How about I offer you everyone who got legally thrown in prision for mayor crimes besides the ones volunteering?"
Back to top Go down
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 9:37 pm

Volunteering? John Slynt had to frown, before he could think of how this action may offend the queen. It was true this queen was most beautiful and just, but now that he faced her a worry grew in him for her mental state. She was a queen, meant to rule. Meant to send men where they were needed, not where they pined to go. With such a rule, he feared all her soldiers would soon retire to the Summer Isles, leaving her to fight her battles alone. Defeating the whitewalkers was not a mission anyone wished upon them, but it was what was right, and what was necessary. Sacrifices must be made for the greater good. Still he wasn't foolish enough to call the queen herself dimwitted.
After an agonising pause, half because Slynt could not believe his ears, and half because he knew not what to answer to such a childish decision. "Very well," he said, all hints of a smile long gone. Some men were better than no men, though. "You are most generous." He bowed once more, but stood his ground in hopes the queen was merely jesting with him, or that she would come to her senses soon. Even if not, he would await dismissal from his queen like any loyal man of the crown.
Back to top Go down
Marina Targaryen
Admin
Marina Targaryen

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 9:48 pm

She crossed her arms raising a brow at him as she noticed his reactions. "You do know that I can´t just send quite the amount of my men right? Even if I give the order I´m aware that if the white walkers are on the move you are going to need a big amount of help and if I do so people soon will start to complain unless they know the real reason which will only spread all over Westeros starting a panic at last. I´m willing to send few skilled men as support but otherwise I can only offer you volunteers and criminals until there is no other chance."
Back to top Go down
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Now, that had John's grin back for a brief moment. "I thought queens answered to no one," he teased, before regaining his distance with a cough, removing the grin from his lips. It was shameless, harmless flirtations, but the statement was true none the less. Why would she ever have to answer to smug noblemen feeling the crown's business was their own? It made not a sliver of sense to him.
"You'll excuse me, your highness," he pleaded. "I am simply taken aback by your lack of similarity to your forbearers." Previous rulers had never been known to be this evasive, confused and careful, or in John's eyes; weak.
Back to top Go down
Marina Targaryen
Admin
Marina Targaryen

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 10:08 pm

"We do from times to times if it´s needed." She glanced at him. "I actually have quite the similarities to my ancestors since I do care for my people and you better should be gratefull for it my dear lord commander. You know how easy I could leave you to death." Sure, she could be described as naive, childish, weak and even dump at times but she still had to learn a lot and crisis appearing not too long after she just had been crowned didn´t do any good at all. However even though she might appear like that Marina would fight for her people like a true dragon, may the man in front of her think whatever he wanted about her having a heart for her people. "I have been very kind my dear lord commander but you should better watch your words."
Back to top Go down
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 10:14 pm

"I meant no disrespect," John was quick to say. "I'm quite aware your bloodline has been rather kind and noble. I meant only that not all rulers before you has shared your compassion." It was true, though it was not all he had meant to say. He would be careful of his words, though he dared she held the spite and confidence to see him beheaded. What he had seen of her thus far indicated a more childish naivity than one would expect. They were all aware of the great Daenerys Stormborn who once ruled, but she had been hard as well as compassionate. No one ever saw her weaknesses. He could not say the same for this present queen, unfortunately.
"You truly has been utmost kind, my queen," he smiled at her and bowed, as was expected of him. "I thank you deeply."
Back to top Go down
Marina Targaryen
Admin
Marina Targaryen

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Marina sighed again. She could feel that she went too far, has shown too much of herself. For both of them it wouldn´t do any good if she was to continue that way though for sure it would be hard to fix both of their actions now.
"If you have to say something then say it. I assure you, you won´t be threatened for it. However if you have a suggestion to make please go ahead."
Back to top Go down
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 10:32 pm

John had to weigh her words, uncertain of her truthfulness, but deemed her an honest person. Perhaps even too honest.
"I am in blatant need of enough men to be certain of victory against the whitewalkers. I understand your decision, but if the whitewalkers were to break through the wall, there would be more than civil unrest plaguing the towns of this land. I only ask that you take this matter seriously. We were lucky once, we might not be again, and if the cold war spreads to your lands, your men would regret not volunteering sooner. In grave times necessity must come before comfort and want. If people were to ask," which he doubted they would. Who questions the rule of a queen if they wished not to be beheaded for it? "tell them you wish to keep the Night's Watch manned in case of future need. Better prepared than sorry."
He felt he might have overstepped, despite her reassuring words, and chose to bow once more to show his respects. "I would not be so outspoken if I did not fear for the people as well."
Back to top Go down
Marina Targaryen
Admin
Marina Targaryen

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 11:10 pm

The queen kept quiet for some time overthinking of what was best to do. Her mayor desire was for sure to keep her people save but she still couldn´t just do as the lord commander requested. First she had to weigh the current danger of the white walkers against all the other disasters she had to deal with which partly were going to have a sooner and bigger effect of her dominion. Second even if she would appoint the lord commanders request as most important to handle right now Marina still would need to have it checked by her council. In particular by the master of laws as well as the lord commander of her very own queensguards.
"I see." It was all she said before she walked to a table near by and started to write a few things down on a paper. When she was done she looked at Slynt again. "I´m going to appoint 2 new laws. First for the criminals, second for support of each of my kingdoms. For anything else and the details in particular I´ll call for my master of laws and lord commander. I can´t tell you the total number of men you are going to get yet but I promise you that you will get as many as there are to offer at the current circumstances."
Back to top Go down
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:22 pm

John realized he was not getting anywhere trying to pressure her, so he simply took a step back, smiled, bowed the tiniest bit and said, "You are most generous, my queen." If this was all she could spare, he supposed it would have to suffice. Perhaps he could beg an audience with lords in the land as well, to ask for men. It would most likely infuriate the queen, who did not wish for her people to know of this crisis, but Slynt would do whatever it took to secure the safety of these lands south of the wall.
"I also wished to ask of you, I have travelled quite far, and the hour is growing late. If you would have a chamber to spare for the night, I would be most thankful for your kindness."
Back to top Go down
Marina Targaryen
Admin
Marina Targaryen

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:19 pm

The queen listened to his set phrase without giving it any real meaning. For sure he wasn´t too happy about her decision but still, again it was all she could offer for now.
A bit relieved not having to argue with the lord commander for the moment she payed more attention to his new request. "I´m sure we can offer you a spot for tonight." She waved at a guard standing nearby to come closer. "Please show the lord commander a chamber where he can rest."
Back to top Go down
John Slynt

John Slynt

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:26 pm

"Thank you, your majesty," John said and left the room with the guard. There was nothing more to discuss for today. Perhaps, if he got to see her before he left on the morrow, he could plead to her once again, but he doubted it would do any good. Instead, he prepared a mental list of lords nearby he could ask favor from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Joyous Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Joyous Day   A Joyous Day Empty

Back to top Go down

A Joyous Day
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Westeros :: The Crownlands :: The Red Keep-
Jump to: