Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Morning under a tree Icon_portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Morning under a tree

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jane Tully
Admin
Jane Tully

Morning under a tree Empty
PostSubject: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 8:53 am

Jane was sitting on the grass, under a tree, one of her favourite books in her hands, re-reading once again her favourite part when the girl started to fall in love with her prince, not knowing who he really was. She sighed and her mind flew once again toward her soon to be husband: some days passed since their first meeting, they met many times in the past few days but they shared nothing but small talk. Beside, her family was often around and talking in their presence was a problem for her, also because they managed to drag all the attention.
She had barely time to stay alone by herself as well: her brothers, her mother or her father was always with her, and when it wasn't them, there always was some servant. Not that she minded too much her family's presence, she actually wanted to spend time with them especially since she didnlt have much left, but now he was craving for some time on her own.
The only moments she had had by herself until that moment, she spent in her room sewing. She blushed at the thought: she had asked for the sewing materials firts thing first on her second day in Riverrun. She insisted to have the best green silk, as quickly as they could get it to her, and to keep it a secret. She had spent a few nights sewing, but finally she had completed her project: a green shirt with golden buttons. She had to mentally thank mother for being so strict about her learning to sew, she was quite the good tailor and she was pretty satified with the result of her work.
She had had it delivered to him by a servant that morning, with just a small note attached "In hope of the beginning of a good friendship". She did think about writing more, maybe a letter, as she did a year before, but having to face him after that made the thought less appealing. She didn't want to write something that could make him uncomfortable and somehow she felt like writing more would have been out of place.
She sighed, wondering if he had received her gift yet. With a second sigh she went back to her book, reading once again how the protagonist fell in love with her beautiful prince
Back to top Go down
https://reignoffireandice.forumotion.com/t73-jane-tully
John Tully

John Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 1:32 pm

John had chosen to put the shirt on as a sign of good will, but was now watching himself in the mirror, anything but excited about his present. He appreciated the sentiment, knowing she had done this in the knowledge green was his favorite color, but... for clothing? It was a bit flamboyant, and what would the servants say with their lord walking around in Mormont green just days after his bride-to-be arrived? Had she really not thought this through? At least it was mostly covered up by his other clothing.
Sighing, he left the room, trying to put the note out of his mind. He wasn't quite sure what she meant with it, and he wasn't ready to start thinking about it either. She seemed so oblivious to the underlying nature and meaning of people, phrases, actions. Perhaps she really just meant exactly what she wrote.
Stepping out of his chambers he walked down the stairs, trying to locate his bethrothed. She seemed to be none of the places he'd expect her to, so he stepped out. He was beginning to sense a reaccuring tendency for Jane to enjoy the sunlight. Though he'd never understand her need of books, he was grateful. It gave him some time alone and a chance to avoid her while staying decent. This time, however, he could not avoid her, and he found her rather quickly in the gardens where he had thought she would be.
"Jane," he called for her, attracting her attention. He wasn't sure what to say, but for the sake of being polite he knew he had to thank her. They also had quite a lot to talk about that they just kept pushing off, well John kept pushing off, and this was a golden opportunity to speak.
Back to top Go down
https://reignoffireandice.forumotion.com/t99-john-tully
Jane Tully
Admin
Jane Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 pm

She was still reading, too taken by the book to take notice of anything around her: John's voice startled her, making her book fall from her hands. Quickly she stood up and greeted him with a small bow "M-my lord, I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting you" Probably something stupid to say since that one was his home, but she really did think she had more time to read before she had to meet him. As always she kept her glance down but rose it just for a moment, just to study his expression, and in that moment she took a glimpse of the shirt he was wearing. Her gift. As she looked down again she bit her lower lip, containing a smile of childish joy: he was wering it... He was too gentle, though, so he could have wore it just for courtesy... she couldn't help but wonder if he actually liked it, but couldnlt find in herself the strenght to ask
Back to top Go down
John Tully

John Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 pm

John had to smile seeing her bow. How unladylike of her. It was as if her nervousness was erasing every lesson in courtesy she had had during her upbringing. Some times he wondered if she were really well-taught at all. Her House would suggest it, but the way she acted some times... she was like a child.
"You can call me John," he said, knowing he still hadn't told her that. He had simply supposed she would eventually start calling him by his first name, but now two days before the wedding she was still calling him by his title. It didn't quite seem right. Specially not now when he had gotten used to her name.
"I wanted to thank you," he said, looking her straight in the eye. It wasn't a problem anymore, but it still wasn't very comfortable either. "It was a lovely gift. Did you make it yourself?" He was sure she had, but when she answered he had a chance to compliment her. It was the standard procedure of conversation between them. He always knew where the conversation was going long before they got there, and it was becoming tiresome with all this empty smalltalk. He wondered if he could endure a lifetime with this.
Back to top Go down
Jane Tully
Admin
Jane Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 2:52 pm

She looked at him, once again surprised by his words: she was hoping he would allow her to call him by his name sooner or later, she just didnlt dare to do so without him saying something on the matter first. She nodded with a smile, listening then to his compliments "You're very welcom,e m-John. Yes, I did" she smiled once again "I... I do hope you like it but if you don't, please don't feel forced to wear it" even though she appreciated it, she didn't want to force him to do something he didn't like.
Back to top Go down
John Tully

John Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 3:07 pm

He chose not to answer that, as he didn't feel like lying to his bride. At least not unless necessary.
"It's fine work," he stated, not really knowing much of these things, but at least it felt good on his skin, and the stitches weren't too obvious. He assumed that must be good for whoever's standards.
The silence that followed was painful, and John spent it watching Jane, dreading to speak the words he needed to speak. Dreading to discuss what he had avoided for so long.
"The wedding is in two days," he stated, knowing she knew it well. His underlying intentions were shining through. He really wanted to know what she felt about it. Hopefully better than he was.
Back to top Go down
Jane Tully
Admin
Jane Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 3:19 pm

She smiled at his answer, knowing it was a vague answer, but she didn't want to insist. She kept biting her lower lip, wishing he would say something or that she could come up with something to say. As he finally spoke again, the thought of the wedding gave her a chill: two days, just two days, and this was the first time he mentioned the wedding. "Yes..." she nodded, unsure about what to say. Why was he bringing it up now? What did he want to say or to know about that? She looked at him with a confused expression, waiting for him to say more
Back to top Go down
John Tully

John Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 6:49 am

"How do you feel about it?" he asked hurriedly before he lost his courage to do do. They hadn't as much as caressed or kissed each other as of yet. They still knew nothing about each other, and soon they would be husband and wife. He needed to know how she felt about that before proceeding. He needed her input now to figure out what to do. He'd still marry her, regardless, as was his duty, but depending on how she felt about this they could try a romantic relationship, or one strictly dutiful and sexual. After all, they needed to produce heirs, whether they liked it or not. John wouldn't Lie and say he didn't. Jane was quite a physically pleasure to look upon, but she might not feel the same.
Back to top Go down
Jane Tully
Admin
Jane Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 7:43 am

The question took her by surprise: he hadn't asked her much until then, and however nothing really personal. She knew how she was supposed to answer to such a question, she was supposed to say how honored she felt at the idea of becoming his wife. But... in the past few days they had both been so formal, he had been kind but somehow distant, when she tried to get closer to him with her clumsy attempts she felt like she failed. This one could be her only chance to be open and honest with him. She gathered all her courage and, after a few seconds of silence, she started replying "I'm scared. In two days... I'll leave behind my home, my family and even my name and... I still know so little of you" she talked slowly, picking carefully her words: she didn't want to offend him by saying something wrong but the subject was really delicate. Her eyes kept running to meet his, only to flee away every time after a few seconds. Staring at him while being so open and vulnerable was too hard for her. She was so nervous she didn't even realize how spasmodically she was playing with her shaking hands. "You know... when I was younger... I did dream to marry for love, to have a... romantic love story like the ones you read in books" she laughed a bit nervously at the last thing she said, knowing it sounded stupid "I-I don't wanna complain about this marriage" she urged to add, fearing she had gone too far this time "y-you do look like a good man... and... you surely are a charming man" she blushed a bit while pronouncing hurriedly the last words "it's just... I keep wondering... should I give up on the idea of a love marriage or... is there still hope?" she finally managed to keep her eyes in his, her glance was filled with fear and anxiety, she got even a bit paler and she felt like she could barely breath. There: all her fear and doubts were there now, he could have crushed all her dreams with just one word, one gesture. In that last question she had squeezed together so many questions she had kept thinking in the last few days, if not in the last two years: "Will you love me? Will you ever be able to give me love? Do you even like me?" She felt like they were deciding of her whole life, her whole future, right there, in that moment.
Back to top Go down
John Tully

John Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 8:47 am

To all of her questions his mind kept running to the same answer, though he knew it wouldn't satisfy her one bit. He was scared to even say it, considering how hopeful and scared she looked. Was he really going to add to that? He wanted to hide behind his courtesies and politeness, but this time it couldn't help him. What could he possibly say to escape this? Perhaps it was better to be as honest with her as she had been. Sighing, he gathered courage.
"I don't know," he said, plain honest and truthful like he had never been with her before. It was the only thing he could do. "I don't know," he repeated hopelessly. "But we can figure it out."
Back to top Go down
Jane Tully
Admin
Jane Tully

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 10:41 am

Jane swallowed, trying to process his answer. It wasn't a yes, it definitely wasn't a yes, but... he didn't say no either, he didn't slam a door in her face and at least he had been honest. There was no reason to give such an answer if that wasn't the truth. After a moment she nodded, forcing herself to smile. There was no reason to be sad, she kept telling herself that trying to look at the positive side. "Would you like to walk with me?" she asked suddenly, breaking the silence: it was both a way to change subject and maybe, why not, a way to 'start figuring it out'. "It is such a lovely day, and we could talk a bit... if you'd want to"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Morning under a tree   Morning under a tree Empty

Back to top Go down

Morning under a tree
Page 1 of 1